With the emergence of digital and social media trends, the basics of news reporting have shifted, as well as ways in which public relations professionals pitch to the media. However, each industry still relies on one another and it is key that as public relations professionals we maintain a trustworthy and dependable relationship with reporters. On March 5, the Noisy Trumpet Public Relations team attended a PRSA luncheon titled:
“Confessions from Ex-San Antonio Journalists: Secrets of a Successful Pitch.” The panel included three experienced and insightful women who transitioned from working in a newsroom to careers in public relations. They revealed how to efficiently pitch to the media from the perspectives of former reporters. Here are a few tips our team learned
from the event:
- [Build a Good Reputation] Reporters want stories that pertain to the beats they cover and don’t want to receive every pitch you send out. Personalize each email by mentioning you’ve researched their relevant work and why your story should be of interest to them. When
reporters notice that you pitch them relevant stories and aren’t crowding their inboxes, you are more likely
to gain a positive reputation with them.
- [Be Mindful of Deadlines] Promptly respond to questions from reporters and provide them with helpful resources, such as photos, videos or website links.
Always attach press releases as a Word document, and embed the release into the email. This allows the news
desk to quickly insert it into their scheduling system.
- [Get to the point] The majority of reporters spend little time reading a pitch; so, it’s critical to engage them right away. Don’t send pitches that are lengthy and overcrowded with information. Capture their attention with a savvy subject line and maximize the preheader text for mobile devices. If sending a press release, make sure to clearly identify the five W’s
(who, what, when, where, why.)
- [Pick Up the Phone] It’s okay to follow-up with reporters on the phone, but don’t pester them. When you call, make sure you’re prepared to answer questions and provide new information. Based on their feedback, you can decide on how you should move forward with your pitch. Be conscious of the news cycle and only call at opportune times.
- [Shareable Content] In the digital age, reporters look for story ideas that will translate to social channels and garner the most shares. Therefore, the basics of reporting have evolved and so should your pitch. This means amplifying the social aspects of your story with imagery, localization, trending topics, human voice and brevity.
Source URL: Read More
The public content above was dynamically discovered – by graded relevancy to this site’s keyword domain name. Such discovery was by systematic attempts to filter for “Creative Commons“ re-use licensing and/or by Press Release distributions. “Source URL” states the content’s owner and/or publisher. When possible, this site references the content above to generate its value-add, the dynamic sentimental analysis below, which allows us to research global sentiments across a multitude of topics related to this site’s specific keyword domain name. Additionally, when possible, this site references the content above to provide on-demand (multilingual) translations and/or to power its “Read Article to Me” feature, which reads the content aloud to visitors. Where applicable, this site also auto-generates a “References” section, which appends the content above by listing all mentioned links. Views expressed in the content above are solely those of the author(s). We do not endorse, offer to sell, promote, recommend, or, otherwise, make any statement about the content above. We reference the content above for your “reading” entertainment purposes only. Review “DMCA & Terms”, at the bottom of this site, for terms of your access and use as well as for applicable DMCA take-down request.
Acquire this Domain
You can acquire this site’s domain name! We have nurtured its online marketing value by systematically curating this site by the domain’s relevant keywords. Explore our content network – you can advertise on each or rent vs. buy the domain. Buy@TLDtraders.com | Skype: TLDtraders | +1 (475) BUY-NAME (289 – 6263). Thousands search by this site’s exact keyword domain name! Most are sent here because search engines often love the keyword. This domain can be your 24/7 lead generator! If you own it, you could capture a large amount of online traffic for your niche. Stop wasting money on ads. Instead, buy this domain to gain a long-term marketing asset. If you can’t afford to buy then you can rent the domain.
We are Internet Investors, Developers, and Franchisers – operating a content network of several thousand sites while federating 100+ eCommerce and SaaS startups. With our proprietary “inverted incubation” model, we leverage a portfolio of $100M in valued domains to impact online trends, traffic, and transactions. We use robotic process automation, machine learning, and other proprietary approaches to power our content network. Contact us to learn how we can help you with your online marketing and/or site maintenance.